Previous Exhibitions — Index
Capital of the North
24 June 2015 – 18 April 2017
From the ravages of war, York went on to flourish in a golden age of innovation, religion and trade. The city was a place of power, art, greed and bloodshed – it was the Capital of the North. Find out more.
Beyond Jorvik: the Vale of York Hoard and the Viking World
3 July 2017 – 3 March 2017
The Vale of York Viking Hoard is one of the most important Viking discoveries ever made in Britain. This spotlight display showed the fantastic objects and revealed fascinating stories about life in the Viking world. Find out more.
Constantius: York’s Forgotten Emperor
16 July 2016 – 9 October 2016
This exhibition revealed the story of Constantius Chlorus (250AD – 306AD) who made his name in Britain, defeating rebellious generals and fighting Picts north of Hadrian’s Wall. Find out more.
Crystals From Beneath: The Minerals of Northern England
14 May 2016 – 10 July 2016
An exhibition showcasing crystals and minerals collected by enthusiasts Lindsay and Patricia Greenbank from various locations in Northern England, one of the best places in the world to find specimens. Find out more.
Richard III: Man & Myth
27 March 2015 – 31 January 2016
The myths and distorted truths that have shaped modern perceptions of Richard III were compared to the historical facts in this exhibition, which opened 26 March 2015 following the reburial Richard at Leicester Cathedral. Find out more.
1212: The Making of the City
7 April 2012 – 31 January 2013
This exhibition marked the 800th anniversary of York’s independence, telling the story of medieval York and celebrating the people, places and events that contributed to the city’s medieval heritage. Find out more.
Medieval York: The Power and the Glory
Opened 1 August 2010
This atmospheric exhibition, set among the ruins of a medieval abbey and glowing with the colour of stained glass, evoked the wealth, power and craftsmanship of a key era in York’s history. Find out more.
- York Museums Trust Seeks to Appoint Three New Trustees to the Board from the Autumn of 2017
- Professor Alice Roberts Officially Opens the new Viking: Rediscover the Legend Exhibition at the Yorkshire Museum
- Experts Hunt for York’s Roman Amphitheatre as part of the Eboracum Roman Festival 2017
- Exclusive Exhibition Events for YMT Card Holders at York Art Gallery, the Yorkshire Museum and York Castle Museum in 2017
- Viking: Rediscover the Legend - Major New Exhibition by the Yorkshire Museum To Open May 2017 In Partnership with the British Museum
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.