Open Daily: 10.00am – 5pm
Closed: 25, 26 December and 1 January.
Early closing at 2.30pm: 24 and 31 December.
Approximate length of visit: 1.5 to 2 hours.
YMT Card Holder FREE
Adult (with 10% Gift Aid Donation) £7.50
Adult (without donation) £6.81
Child (16 and under*) FREE with a paying adult
Access Day Ticket** £4.00
With a YorkCard 20% off day tickets
12 months unlimited access to York Castle Museum, York Art Gallery and the Yorkshire Museum. Click here for details.
YMT Card £22 / £20 with Direct Debit
if you are a York Resident*** £11 / £10 with Direct Debit
Access YMT Card** £11 / £10 with Direct Debit
if you are a York Resident*** FREE
* Up to four children free per one paying adult. Additional children aged 5-16 will be charged at £4 per child. Under 5’s are free.
** Access tickets: up to 50% discount for visitors aged 17-24 or in receipt of Pension Credit or Universal Credit (that’s Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income–based Job Seeker’s Allowance, or Income Support). Evidence may be required. York Museums Trust is an independent charity, we need to raise funds but we are also committed to providing access to everybody.
*** York residents must be in possession of a valid YorkCard, available from all Explore libraries, a York student ID card, or a current Council Tax bill demonstrating that they live within the City of York Council local authority boundary.
Please note that the above admission prices do not apply to group bookings of ten or more – please click here for information on group bookings.
National Art Pass FREE
You can buy your National Art Pass from the Art Fund website.
We offer free admission for the below. Please note that a valid card or proof of identity will be required in most circumstances.
- Carers who are accompanying a disabled visitor
- Blind or partially-sighted visitors
- National Art Pass holders (find out more on the Art Fund website)
- York Pass holders
- York Museums Trust staff, Trustees and volunteers
- Blue Badge Guide
- Museums Association Card
- ICOM (International Council of Museums) staff
- NMDC (National Museums Directors council) staff
- GEM (Group for Education in Museums) staff
- York members of the Association of Voluntary Guides
- MAX Card
- Visit York Tourism Partners
- Visit York VIP Pass
- Yorkshire Philosophical Society Members
- Jorvik staff (for the duration of the York St Mary’s exhibition only)
- Museum and gallery employees for organisations included in the NMDC Reciprocal Free Admission Scheme
How to Find Us
Museum Gardens, Museum Street, York, YO1 7FR
The Yorkshire Museum and Gardens are next to Lendal Bridge, the main river bridge between York Railway Station and York Minster. It takes 10 to 15 minutes to walk from York Railway Station and there are entrances into the gardens from both Museum Street and Marygate.
The nearest car park is on Marygate, which is five minutes’ walk and has 350 spaces. Marygate is off Bootham, the A19, which is the main road into York from the north. For more car parking information please click here.
There is a ramp at the front of the building and the main entrance area is fully accessible.
The museum is on three floors and there is a lift. The lower ground and ground floor are fully accessible to wheelchair users. The first floor is mainly accessible, but the reading room and historic library are not accessible to wheelchairs. Please contact us if you wish to access these facilities and we will do our best to help you.
Please note that at busy times there may be a delay in using the lift, as only one wheelchair user is allowed on the first floor at one time due to fire regulations. There are handrails on the stairs and there is seating available around the museum.
Toilet facilities are found on the lower ground floor including a disabled toilet.
Please click here to visit our dedicated Families page (basic information is provided below).
Pushchairs are welcome and there are baby changing facilities on the Lower Ground Floor.
There are no cafe facilities but hot drinks can be purchases from a machine in the museum shop, and you are welcome to bring a picnic and sit in the Museum Gardens directly outside (please note that alcohol is prohibited in the Gardens and we ask that you please dispose of your litter appropriately).
The museum shop is fully accessible and has a variety of gifts and items relating to the collections. YMT Card holders receive a discount on items bought in the shop.
We welcome Guide Dogs, but no other animals are allowed entry to the museum.
Photography for personal use is allowed around the museum, but there may be restrictions during special exhibitions, and the use of tripods may be restricted when busy.
Please seek permission in writing from the Museum Manager if you wish to take film/video footage for personal use.
If you would like to request permission to publish images of our collection, use them commercially or enquire about copyright please click here.
Group & School Bookings
York Museum Gardens
Set in the stunning surroundings of the medieval ruins of St. Mary’s Abbey, York Museum Gardens is a great space to meet friends and family and enjoy the peace and tranquility that the gardens have to offer. The Gardens are open daily and free to all visitors. Please see below for opening times.
Summer (March-October): 7:30am – 8:00pm
Winter (October-March): 7:30am – 6:00pm
Closed: 25, 26 December and 1 January
We aim to open York Observatory every day 11.30am to 2.30pm. However, as the site is manned by trained volunteers, we cannot guarantee to be open on any particular day.
Please contact us ahead if you would like to visit on a specific day –
- via email at email@example.com
- by phone on 01904 687 687
For more information on the Yorkshire Museum and other attractions in York, please click here to view the York 2017 Visitor Guide from the team at Visit York.
Map of the Museum
Please click here to download a map of the museum or click on the images below.
- Exclusive Exhibition Events for YMT Card Holders at York Art Gallery, the Yorkshire Museum and York Castle Museum in 2017
- Viking: Rediscover the Legend - Major New Exhibition by the Yorkshire Museum To Open May 2017 In Partnership with the British Museum
- York Museums Trust Receive Grant from the DCMS/Wolfson Museums and Galleries Improvement Fund
- Star Carr Headdress Celebrated as Part of Royal Mail 'Ancient Britain' Special Stamps
- York Museums Trust Appoint Fundraising Manager
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.