Richard III: Coming Home
9 July – 31 October 2021
Book tickets here for 9 July – 1 Aug.
Future tickets will be released mid July.
Please note our website is currently down for ticket bookings. We’re so sorry for the inconvenience caused.
The world-famous late 16th century portrait of Richard III will go on display at the Yorkshire Museum as part of a new display, in summer 2021. The loan to the Yorkshire Museum is part of the National Portrait Gallery’s nation-wide COMING HOME project, which sees the Gallery sending portraits of iconic individuals to places they are closely associated with.
The painting, which has become synonymous with the depiction of Richard III, will form the centrepiece of the new display, which includes the Yorkshire Museum’s outstanding collections associated with the King. Objects such as the magnificent Middleham Jewel, The Ryther Hoard and the Stillingfleet Boar Badge worn by one of his supporters, will be on display.
King Richard III by Unknown artist © National Portrait Gallery, London
- York Museums Trust’s project #CuratorBattle shortlisted for two national awards.
- Celebrate Summer at York Museum Gardens
- Famous Portrait of King Richard III to go on Display at the Yorkshire Museum
- York Museums Trust to receive £423,000 from Government’s Culture Recovery Fund
- Yorkshire Museum receives a lifeline grant from the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund for external restoration