Old Collections, New Questions: Researching the Roman Collections of the Yorkshire Museum
In 2017 York Museums Trust launched the ‘Old Collections, New Questions’ Roman Research Project, an Arts Council England supported project to carry out new and innovative research into the Yorkshire Museum’s internationally significant Roman collections.
There is huge research potential amongst the Roman collections. It is a hope that the following document will outline a path towards the use of these long-standing collections in new, innovative and engaging ways, ensuring that their full potential is realised.
Old Collections, New Questions: Researching the Roman Collections of the Yorkshire Museum draws together four documents created as a part of the ‘Old Collections, New Questions’ project:
- Research Agenda. This sets out the over-arching themes and questions for the interpretation of the collections. It also introduces the collections, previous research and other repositories of Roman material in York.
- Overview of the Archaeology Collections. This provides a detailed discussion of the strengths of the archaeological collections.
- Archaeology Research Plan. This establishes the possible avenues of research using objects from the archaeological collections.
- Numismatic Research Strategy. This provides a brief overview of the collection alongside a plan for possible research projects.
By placing this document in the public domain York Museums Trust hopes that it can be used as a resource for future research and can be further developed over the course of time with feedback, use, and outcomes.
Based on the above, we have developed a number of research projects which could be topics for Undergraduate or Masters’ dissertations.
For updates from the ‘Old Collections, New Questions” Roman Research Project please follow @YMT_YorkRomans on Twitter.
For further information please contact Emily.Tilley@ymt.org.uk.
- Jurassic Success! Yorkshire Museum Has Its Most Successful Year Since Formation of York Museum Trust
- New Chair of Trustees Appointed at York Museums Trust
- Take Part in the World’s Biggest Birdwatch!
- Visit York Museums Trust sites for Free This York Residents Festival
- The York Helmet Back On Show At the Yorkshire Museum
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.