Viking: Rediscover the Legend
19 May – 5 November 2017
A major new partnership exhibition with the British Museum
Two of the most significant and internationally recognised collections of Viking Age treasure in Britain were brought together for the first time in this major new exhibition.
Featuring some of the most exciting Anglo-Saxon and Viking discoveries ever made, the exhibition explored how the Vikings transformed life in Britain.
Star objects from the British Museum featured alongside the Yorkshire Museum’s world class collections, with new interpretations to give a fresh perspective on how the Vikings shaped every aspect of life in Britain.
It also featured ground-breaking research by archaeologists and new discoveries by metal-detectorists which challenge our perceptions of what it means to be Viking.
Professor Alice Roberts said:
“The Vikings are such an iconic part of our heritage and history. They tend to be portrayed as either bloodthirsty raiders or mercantile traders, but they were much more complex and interesting. This unique exhibition brings together objects which help us to understand them and their world.”
The exhibition debuted at the Yorkshire Museum 19 May to 5 November 2017 then toured the following locations:
Djanogly Gallery, Nottingham Lakeside Arts, University of Nottingham
24th November 2017 – 4th March 2018
The Atkinson, Southport
31st March 2018 – 3rd June 2018
Norwich Castle Museum, Norwich
9th February 2019 – 8th September 2019
- Eboracum Roman Festival is BACK!
- York Museums Trust announces move of CEO Reyahn King to a new post at National Trust for Scotland
- YORKSHIRE MUSEUM RE-OPENS ITS DOORS!
- Staff health and wellbeing shown to be at the heart of York Museums Trust. All staff to benefit from a week’s holiday in early January and encouraged to rest and recuperate
- Rare Roman bronzes acquired by the Yorkshire Museum