Viking: Rediscover the Legend
19 May – 5 November 2017
A major new partnership exhibition with the British Museum
Two of the most significant and internationally recognised collections of Viking Age treasure in Britain have been brought together for the first time in this major new exhibition.
Featuring some of the most exciting Anglo-Saxon and Viking discoveries ever made, the exhibition explores how the Vikings transformed life in Britain.
Star objects from the British Museum feature alongside the Yorkshire Museum’s world class collections and are interpreted in new ways to give a fresh perspective on how the Vikings shaped every aspect of life in Britain.
It also features ground-breaking research by archaeologists and new discoveries by metal-detectorists which challenge our perceptions of what it means to be Viking.
Professor Alice Roberts said:
“The Vikings are such an iconic part of our heritage and history. They tend to be portrayed as either bloodthirsty raiders or mercantile traders, but they were much more complex and interesting. This unique exhibition brings together objects which help us to understand them and their world.”
The exhibition willbe open at the Yorkshire Museum 19 May to 5 November 2017, and then tour to the University of Nottingham Museum, The Atkinson, Southport, Aberdeen Art Gallery and Norwich Castle Museum (dates to be confirmed).
- York Museums Trust Seeks to Appoint Three New Trustees to the Board from the Autumn of 2017
- Professor Alice Roberts Officially Opens the new Viking: Rediscover the Legend Exhibition at the Yorkshire Museum
- Experts Hunt for York’s Roman Amphitheatre as part of the Eboracum Roman Festival 2017
- Exclusive Exhibition Events for YMT Card Holders at York Art Gallery, the Yorkshire Museum and York Castle Museum in 2017
- Viking: Rediscover the Legend - Major New Exhibition by the Yorkshire Museum To Open May 2017 In Partnership with the British Museum
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.