The Bedale Hoard
The Bedale Hoard was found by metal detectorists in 2012 and bought by the Yorkshire Museum after generous donations from the public and grants from funders.
Please note: The Yorkshire Museum is home to an extensive and varied collection of items and artefacts. Whilst we make every effort to display a broad spectrum of our collections it is not always possible for all our collections to be on display at once. Please check the latest exhibitions to find out what collections are currently on display or contact us on 01904 687687.
It spent many months being conserved by the York Archaeological Trust (YAT), with fascinating and intricate details of the metalwork being uncovered for the first time.
Tiny cuts have become visible which show the testing of the purity of the silver. Samples of wood and textile have also been found which give clues to how it was buried.
As well as the inlaid gold sword pommel, unique silver neck ring and neck collar and the silver armring, it also includes 29 silver ingots, two other silver neck rings and gold rivets. Archaeologists believe it is from the late ninth or early tenth century.
The Bedale Hoard
Watch the video below to find out more about the discovery and conservation of one of the most significant discoveries of Viking treasure in Yorkshire.
The Bedale Hoard Animation Project
As part of York Museums Trust’s Genesis project a group of young people aged from 14-16 created an animated video on the story of the Bedale Hoard at the Yorkshire Museum.
- Yorkshire Museum and DC Labs (University of York) win York Culture Award 2017 for Viking VR
- Give a year of great days out this Christmas with the YMT Card
- Projects involving York Museums Trust shortlisted for three York Cultural Awards
- Last chance to see two major exhibitions at York Art Gallery and the Yorkshire Museum this week
- Trip Trap Troll! Visit the Yorkshire Museum this October half term to make and play this traditional Viking game
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.