Our archaeology collection of nearly one million objects ranges from the earliest prehistoric finds up until the twentieth century and is the one of the most comprehensive in a regional British museum outside London.
Please note: The Yorkshire Museum is home to an extensive and varied collection of items and artefacts. Whilst we make every effort to display a broad spectrum of our collections it is not always possible for all our collections to be on display at once. Please check the latest exhibitions to find out what collections are currently on display or contact us on 01904 687687.
The majority of our Roman, Anglian and Anglo Scandinavian (Saxon and Viking), and Medieval objects come from York and Yorkshire.
Our most significant objects include the medieval Middleham Jewel and Ring, the York Helmet, and the Gilling Sword, all found in the region, plus the Ormside Bowl, found in Cumbria.
Roman objects include the statue of Mars and the head of Constantine and the tombstone of Lucius Duccius Rufinus, Standard Bearer of the Ninth Legion, as well as a head of human hair, preserved in a Roman gypsum burial, all found in York.
Some of the finest medieval architectural and monastic material in England comes from St Mary’s Abbey, in whose ruins the museum now stands, particularly a series of 12th century life-size statues of saints and prophets.
The museum’s prehistoric collection ranges from the earliest man-made tools from half a million years ago, Bronze Age material from across Europe, to the Iron Age Arras chariot burials, discovered in the Yorkshire Wolds.
Click here to find out about how our experts from the Portable Antiquities Scheme can help identify your archaeological finds
- Exclusive Exhibition Events for YMT Card Holders at York Art Gallery, the Yorkshire Museum and York Castle Museum in 2017
- Viking: Rediscover the Legend - Major New Exhibition by the Yorkshire Museum To Open May 2017 In Partnership with the British Museum
- York Museums Trust Receive Grant from the DCMS/Wolfson Museums and Galleries Improvement Fund
- Star Carr Headdress Celebrated as Part of Royal Mail 'Ancient Britain' Special Stamps
- York Museums Trust Appoint Fundraising Manager
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.