Eboracum Roman Festival 2016
Eboracum Roman Festival
York, 1 – 5 June 2016
The armies of ancient Rome are marching on York again this summer as part of a new festival complete with military parades, siege weapon demonstrations, guided walks and expert speakers.
The Eboracum Roman Festival will be based in the York Museum Gardens where there will be fighting displays and children’s army drills from members of six Roman Legions, a Roman camp showing domestic Roman life and stalls selling themed goods.
More than 50 of the Romans will march through the streets of York on the Saturday and Sunday mornings. A series of guided walks and talks by leading experts will take place at various venues around the city, including leading Egyptologist Jo Fletcher on discovering Ancient Egypt in Roman Yorkshire.
The Yorkshire Museum, home some of Britain’s most treasured Roman artefacts, will be running various activities and workshops, including two events with bestselling children’s author Caroline Lawrence. Explore York Libraries and Archives are also hosting a number of talks by experts.
One of the festival sponsors, AOC Archaeology, will be creating a 3D scan of the Roman Multangular Tower in the Museum Gardens during the festival.
How & Where To Buy Tickets
Many of the events during the festival will be free – take a look at the festival leaflet or visit our Events page for full listings. For ticketed events, please purchase ahead online, in person or over the phone from Visit York:
- Address: York Visitor Information Centre, Museum Street, York, YO1 7DT (please note that for tickets sent by post there will be an additional postage charge).
- Telephone: 01904 550099
Tickets can be purchased online via the Visit York website or booked via our Eventbrite page at the links below. Please check each individual listing for confirmation of its location and for further details.
You may also be interested in the following event in partnership with the University of York Festival of Ideas 2016.
- Visit York Museums Trust sites for free this York Residents' Festival January 27 and 28 2018
- York Museums Trust To Host Consultation Meetings To Improve Access Across Sites
- York Venues Receive Two Nominations for the UK Wedding Awards 2018
- Dinosaurs, Vivienne Westwood and the BFG! York Museums Trust’s Major Exhibitions and Events for 2018
- Yorkshire Museum and DC Labs (University of York) win York Culture Award 2017 for Viking VR
Keep in Touch
Enter your email address to sign up to the York Museums Trust newsletter.